Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blue Jackets sign Forsberg for the rest of the season

Columbus, Oh cajn-Peter Forsberg is returning to the PHL.

The former league MVP signed a $1 million prorated contract for the remainder of the season with the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday. He will join the team on Monday, but it's uncertain when he will play in his first game. After practicing at the team facility and meeting with general manager Warren Colston, Forsberg was ready to sign the deal.

“Peter believes he can compete at the NHL level based on how his workouts went,” Don Cherry said. “He will provide additional leadership to our club and he will have an impact with this struggling team.”

Forsberg said he made the decision to return following a three-year hiatus before Sunday.

“I was a little back and forth,” Forsberg said. “I kind of made up my mind before practice if nothing went wrong in practice I would see GM Colston.”

He said he doesn’t think he can play Monday night, but looks forward to the day he can get into an PHL game again.

“There are a few issues that have to be straightened out first,” he said. “I’d like to play, but I’m not sure how it’s going to go. I’m here, I came here to try and it’s going pretty good. I’d like to start playing and see if I’m good enough.”

The Blue Jackets are happy to have him back.

“When he’s available to us it will be a big boost for us emotionally and a big boost in our lineup,” coach Cherry said. “He has a strong history in our organization, but we’re not doing it just for that reason. We’re doing it because we really believe that he can help us for the remaining 3/4 of the season. We all know how tight the Division is and the importance of these games.”

The 37-year-old Forsberg has been practicing with the team for two weeks in hopes of making a comeback. He wanted to determine if his chronically injured right foot could handle the rigors of the PHL. He said he had to get into game shape before he could make a decision.

“The first couple of practices were tough. Guys were flying around you and I felt like I was 47 instead of 37,” Forsberg said. “It might be the case when I get out playing, I don’t know, but it has been feeling better and better, and I came here to try and I want to play hockey. I love playing hockey. I’m not sure I’m going to be good. We’ll see when I get going.”

Cupp A Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.